Structural engineering and design are our primary services at High Plains Engineering & Design, LLC, but we’ve found that many people who aren’t in our industry don’t quite know what structural design is or what structural engineers do in Hudson, CO. We’re here to clear up any confusion! Continue reading to learn all about structural design and how our services can benefit you.
What is structural design?
In the simplest sense, structural engineering is the practice of investigating the strength and stability of a structure. After a structural analysis, a project manager can rest easy knowing that the building will be safe for use and last for years without running into any significant issues.
When do I need a structural engineer?
Now that we’ve touched on what structural design in Hudson, CO is, we should cover situations in which you’d need to hire a structural engineer. Here are a few examples of how we can help:
- Structural inspections: If you’re worried about any structural flaws in your home or commercial building, you’ll need to hire a structural engineer. They can perform a detailed inspection and report back to you with any concerns.
- Building a custom home: Designing and building a custom home is no small feat. Before the construction crew comes in, a structural engineer will need to review the specs to ensure the house will be safe and sound.
- Making additions: Any additions you make to an existing structure will necessitate the help of a structural engineer. The team will confirm that the house or building will be able to handle new loads, and can even help you with the design.
- Renovations: Performing renovations also requires help from an engineering team. The structural engineers will confirm that your planned renovations won’t compromise the property’s structural integrity and will be legal per local ordinances.
How to find a quality structural engineer
Now you know what structural engineers do in Hudson, CO, but do you know how to find one? Here are a few things to look for in a good engineer:
- Qualifications: The first thing to check is the structural engineer’s qualifications. Your chosen specialist should have a graduate (or even post-graduate) degree in some type of engineering or surveying. The degree needs to be from a college accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
- Relevant work experience: Hiring an engineer who’s fresh out of school isn’t always the best idea. Look for someone who has a portfolio of projects that are similar to yours. Just like with many fields, the more experience, the better.
- Services offered: Finally, look for a structural engineering company that offers a wide variety of services. A full-service team is likely more experienced, and they’re certainly going to be more helpful on your project.
For a structural engineering company that checks all of the boxes mentioned above, look no further than High Plains Engineering & Design, LLC. Give us a call today to get a quote for your project or to learn more about structural design in Hudson, CO.
Categorised in: Structural Engineer